Tuesday, February 10, 2004

One day, three sleeps.

I spent much (17.5 hours) of the last 24 hours sleeping. No real reason - just because.

1300-1900

I'm running down these halls, dimly lit as always. At one point I stop when I realise that I don't know why I'm running or what/who I'm running from. After some thought on the matter I figure out that I'm not actually running from anyone, but that I'm trapped. There's no way out of here. No doors, no windows, no nothing - just all of this weird half-light. Exhausted, I stop, and when I do a booming voice breaks the silence. "Leaving so soon? And where'll you go that's better than here?"

"Hey are you asleep?"

"Snrrg?"

"Just letting you know that it's seven - supper'll be done soon."

2330-0600

I'm lying in bed, sleeping. An abnormally giant keg of beer separates Mrs. Remark and myself. I have to admit - it looks kind of cute in those little pajamas. I'm dreaming of sleeping and I know it. It's a very weird feeling. I also know how very real that giant keg of beer is. I hear Mrs. Remark, on the other side of the keg, tossing and turning, incredibly uncomfortable sleeping next to this behemoth. I attempt to drape an arm over it, cuddling it close. A headache is building in my noggin, and I want to continue sleeping. But I can't.

"Huh? Where are you going? Are you getting up?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I'm not tired."

"That's crazy."

"..."

0700-1300

Right now my cat, Sydney, is scared of me. I can feel his presence at the foot of my bed. He's been there all morning. I've probably been kicking him. I'm thinking of all these things to say to him, but I can't because I'm sleeping. Why lay at my feet? Why not come up here where I'm not going to kick you? I'll change your litter later. The headache still lingers and I'm wondering if I may just have it for the rest of my life. I slip into a dream's dream. It is but a flash, but it seems to last 25 years. I'm flying through the solar system. Not in a spaceship or anything fancy like that, but I'm just flying, free. I'm visiting all of the planets, looking for life. I'm not find any. All of our planets, and their moons, are sterile. I get to the end, just past Pluto, and I'm having trouble breathing. On my way back to Earth I make plans to go out again and search a different system.

RING. RING. RI-

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. Just letting you know that I'll be a little longer."

"All right."

"So, what are you doing?"

"Sleeping."

"Really? Still!? Why?"

"Something to do. I'm thinking of getting up now though."

No comments:

Post a Comment