Wednesday, December 23, 2015

unactualized stranger

It sometimes gets so I can’t tell a memory from a daydream, can’t tell if a memory is from yesterday or twenty years ago, can’t tell if any of this is actually happening at all.   I write the word ‘sometimes’ in my notebook so many times it starts to look like it’s spelt incorrectly.  So strong is my suspicion that it is wrong, I reach for a dictionary to look it up. There, at home on the page, in beautiful, bold black on white, it still looks peculiar.

I get up and make myself a drink; two fingers of Scotch. Not the good stuff – the stuff I save for when guests are over – but the okay stuff, the stuff I save for when I’m sure I’m losing my mind.  I don’t sip, I drink, and it’s gone it three gulps, burning all the way down to my core.  I feel better.  It’s afternoon, and I’ve yet to pull the curtains back to reveal the outside world.  Outside, a cold, grey sky meets a cold, grey ground.  I can’t bare it.  My cozy study, it’s dark but for a small lamp throwing dim light into my armchair.  I balance the empty whiskey glass on the tips of my fingers. I close my notebook.

A gentle rustling comes from my bedroom, someone twisting in the sheets, waking up.  There’s a stretch, a yawn.  It sometimes gets so I don’t know if any of this is real.  I hear her call my name, a voice smooth in timbre, pleasant in tone.  “Hello?” she calls out.  “You around?”  That feeling you have after a night of drinking: like you’ve gone and misplaced your soul.  You feel a little lost, a bit out of order, slightly out of time.  She calls my name again, and I can’t quite place the voice.

“I’m here,” I tell her, “in the next room.   I awoke with a thought, and had to write it down, sort some things out.”  I set my glass on the end table, and place my notebook beside it. I can still taste the Scotch on my lips, can still feel the slight burn in my throat.

“Why don’t you come back to bed,” she suggests.  I hear her roll over, pulling the covers up.  She fluffs the pillow.  “This is the kind of day I know we wouldn’t regret wasting on our backs.”

That voice.  Familiar, yet foreign, it simultaneously invites me to stay and inspires me to flee.  I swear it sometimes gets so I can’t tell if a memory is recent or from decades past.  I shake my head.  “I’ll be there soon,” I say.  “Just finishing something up.”

From the next room, I hear a click of the bedside lamp followed by slender fingers flipping through a magazine.  “I’ll be here,” she sighs.

And I know she will be.  More to myself than anyone else, I mutter, “Just need to finish up is all.”  There’s always something to finish up.  Picking up my notebook, I turn to the page where I left off and write ‘sometimes’ once more.  Twice more.  Again.  I continue writing that word repeatedly until it looks like alien scrawl.  Sometimes it gets so I can’t tell a memory from a daydream, real past from re-imagined past, the figments from the fragments.

No comments:

Post a Comment