Thursday, December 8, 2005

fraud automatic

Clicking links. Sitting at this desk, in this box, clicking links, ear buds in, Transplants' Haunted Cities playing. Loud. I am a responsible adult. Alone in this box, this office. I've two windows: one which looks out over a grey parking lot, and another which looks out over a grey sea of cubicles. I keep the blinds to the parking lot closed, but the blinds to the grey sea of cubicles must be kept open. Company policy. I am a responsible adult. My happenings must be kept transparent.

I gaze out at the cold grey sea. At the grey walls of the cubicles, and the robots occupying them. At the black domes housing the cameras above their heads. Surely, one of those cameras points my way. That's not paranoia - it's just the way things are. I am a responsible adult. Wasting company time and money beneath the watchful eye of corporate security. But I've fitted my monitor with a privacy screen which makes it impossible to read anything unless looked at head on. I cover my tracks. To keep my happenings as opaque as possible.

It's a game. I know that they know, but they knew I was smart when they hired me. They'd have been aware that I would know all about the game, know the rules, and know how to break them. I am a responsible adult. Engaging in psychological warfare with individuals I've never met. Oh, I've seen them. Rats scurrying through the maze of their glass cage. Shuffling papers. Compiling information. Staring into monitors, beady eyes shrinking further. My identification card was fabricated there. By them. If you normally wear glasses, be sure to wear them for your photo. If you normally have facial hair, be sure that it is present for your photo. So I shaved off my beard and put on a pair of fashion glasses just for the occasion. I am a responsible adult. Faking it.

Clicking links. Sitting at this desk, in this box, wasting company time and money. Plotting against those who attempt to keep me in check. I gaze out at the cold grey sea. I wish I were one of them. A robot. No need to feel special. No need to feel superior. No need to feel. Just do your job beneath the obvious gaze of Big Brother, guided by his hand, and go home at the end of the day. Hourly wage: your job is done when the workday is. Salary: your job is done when the work is - which is never. I am a responsible adult. Filled with disdain. I am a responsible adult. Feeling the effects of last night's drinking binge. I am a responsible adult. The effects of last night's psilocybin ingestion just now wearing off. I am a responsible adult. Wearing the disguise of a responsible adult. Posing, just like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment